Verlyn Olson, BA, LLB, QC
I am a native of Camrose and have spent most of my life and career in Central Alberta. My wife, Mardell, and I recently celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary. We have three children, a son-in-law, a daughter-in-law and four (soon to be five) grandchildren.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE BACKGROUND
I am an alumnus of Camrose Lutheran College and the University of Alberta where I received a Bachelor of Arts in History and a Bachelor of Laws. I practised law in east central Alberta for over thirty years. My practice focused on Real Estate, Wills and Estates and Corporate Commercial transactions. I served the Wetaskiwin Camrose Constituency in the Alberta Legislature from 2008 until 2015. Some of the positions which I held while serving as MLA included:
- Chair of the First Nations Metis Inuit Workforce Planning Initiative Committee,
- Deputy Chair of the Premier’s Council on the Status of Persons with Disabilities,
- Member of Legislative Committees on Health, the Heritage Savings Trust Fund, Public Accounts and Private Bills,
- Minister of Justice and Attorney General,
- Deputy Government House Leader, and
- Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development.
At this point of my legal career, in addition to the type of work I have always done, I want to focus on helping families plan for transition of their small businesses and family farms to the next generation.
I have always been active in my community, having served on the Bethany Board (long term and seniors’ care), Camrose Lutheran College Corporation (advanced education), Alberta Motion Picture Development Corporation (film financing), Viking Cup Hockey Tournament Steering Committee (international hockey), Camrose Sport Development Society (junior hockey), Pretty Hill Film Festival and as a minor baseball and hockey coach.CONTACT INFO